Friday 22 August 2008

A man was stabbed and died in a flat in a quiet suburban street yesterday.

A groom told yesterday how he and his best man narrowly escaped death after being stabbed during his wedding reception by a gatecrasher.

Joe Pattenden Hunt, 27, said the man, armed with a six-inch steak knife, appeared high on drink and drugs and lashed out as he defended pal Jason Holt.

Jason, 35, bore the brunt of the attack, suffering wounds to his neck, chin, chest, back and stomach. But Joe will also be scarred for life after being slashed on an arm as bride Laura, 27, and 80 guests watched in horror. He said: "I felt like I was going to faint and I could see I was losing a lot of blood. I was very frightened."

Jason added: "I didn't really notice any pain but just felt wet and sticky with the blood running all over my body. It was terrifying."

Laura cradled Joe, who she married in the Scilly Isles last month, before he was rushed to hospital.

She recalled: "I screamed as I thought he and Jason were dying. Joe asked me if it was raining - until he realised his shoes were filling with blood."

The knifeman "went berserk" after he and four other men in their 20s stumbled at 11.30pm into Saturday's fireworks celebrations at Joe's parents' house in Crowborough, East Sussex.

He struck out swearing as landscape gardener Joe, of Wadhurst, and Jason, of Mayfield, wrestled him to the grass.

And Joe now fears knife crime is spreading from inner cities. He said: "I've always felt fortunate to live in the countryside. But this proves violent people are everywhere now."

Matthew Gould, 23, of Crowborough, was yesterday remanded in custody to appear at Lewes crown court in October charged with wounding.

No comments: